If your home or business needs roof repair, a new roof system can be a big investment for any home owner or business, and deserves your consideration.
But if the shingles on your roof are older than 10 to 15 years, then patching and repairing your roof won’t do much good.
And if you can see that the asphalt shingles on your roof are curling up or buckling, it is clearly time to replace the roof; once a shingle starts pulling up, it won’t reseal and it will begin allowing water to get in and destroy the structure of your roof, and damage the ceiling and more of your home or business.
Galaxy Builders wants to help you get a quality roof system at a fair price.
Most homes in Florida and Georgia have a sloped roof, consisting of five basic components:
- A roof covering – usually asphalt shingles, but could also be tile, slate, or metal, and some sort of underlayment to protect the sheathing from the weather.
- Sheathing – usually boards that are fastened to roof rafters over a home or business.
- Roof Structure – these are the rafters and trusses of the roof, which support the sheathing.
- Flashing – sheet metal or other material installed into a roof system at valleys and joints to prevent water leaking in there.
- Drainage – the shape, slope, and design of a roof, that affect the roof’s ability to shed water.
When you need roof repair or replacement, one or more of these components will need attention.
Galaxy Builders will inspect your roof, and give you a FREE Estimate, with recommendation whether repairs or a new roof is best for your home or business.
If you need to replace roof covering, you may have several choices, based on appearance, cost, and durability.
The materials you choose for your new roof will have the largest impact on the cost of the project.
The most common residential roof covering in Florida and Georgia is asphalt shingles (either cellulose-fiber (i.e., wood) based shingles which are saturated with asphalt and coated with mineral granules, or fiberglass mat shingles with a top and bottom layer of asphalt and mineral granules). Generally, fiberglass shingles are more fire resistant than wood based shingles.
Other roof coverings include clay and concrete tile, slate, metal, and wood shingles and shakes.
We can help explain the considerations for each type of roof covering.
When we inspect your roof, we will also check your attic for proper free-flow ventilation for your roof, and insulation and vapor barrier, to prevent heat being exchanged through your building ceiling to and from your attic.
If you are also considering other contractors to repair or replace your roof, you need to make sure you have a reliable contractor.
Check that each roofing contractor you consider has:
- a permanent place of business and telephone number
- proper insurance
- licensed and bonded
- and that they give you a detailed, written proposal of the work to be done, the approximate starting and completion dates, and the payment procedures
Be skeptical about a very low bid; if it seems too good to be true, it probably is just that.
Call Galaxy Builders for a FREE Estimate – 904-503-4164.
For more information about roofing considerations, ask us, and you can also visit the National Roofing Contractors Association website.